Sugar can be configured to send an email notification to your customers when the status of a case changes.
Beginning with version 9.1.0, each user’s license type (e.g. Sugar Serve) determines what functionality is available as described in the User Management documentation. The Workflow module used in this article is not available in Sugar Serve and Sugar Sell.
- You must be an administrator or have developer-level access in Sugar to create the workflow.
- An alert email template already exists. For more information on creating alert email templates, please refer to the Creating an Alert Email Template for Workflows article.
- System email settings must be configured in Admin > Email Settings.
For more information, please refer to the Workflow Management and Email documentation.
Steps to Complete
From the Admin page, scroll down to the Developer Tools section and complete the following steps:
- Click the Workflow Management link.
- Click “Create Workflow Definition”.
- Enter in the name of the workflow. For example, “Case Status Notification”.
- Execution Occurs: When record saved Status: Active Target Module: Cases Applies to: New and Existing Records Processing Order: Alerts then Actions
- Click “Save”.
- Under “Conditions” click the Create button.
- Select “When a field on the target module changes”.
- Click the Field link.
- Within the popup window select “Status” and click “Save”.
- Click “Save” again.
- Under “Alerts” click the Create button.
- Enter in the name of your Alert (this name is not sent to your customers). For example, type in something like “Case Status Alert”
- Alert Type is “Email”.
- Source Type is “Custom Template”.
- Select the custom template in the drop down list.
- Under “Alert Recipient List” click “Create”.
- Select “Recipient associated with a related module”.
- Click on the Module link, select “Contact” and save. You may need to expand the popup window to see the Save button.
- Click “Next”.
- Check the checkbox for “Select custom email and name fields”.
- For the Email field, select “Email” and click “Save”.
- For the Name field, select “Name” and click “Save”.
- For the address type, select “To:” and click “Save”.
- Click Save again.
You have just created an alert and defined its recipients. Now you are ready to test your workflow.
- Create a test contact that has an email address that you have access to.
- From the test contact’s detail view page, scroll down to the Cases Subpanel and click Create.
- Click on the newly created case and edit it to change the status from New to something else.
- Click the Save button.
- You should now have an email notifying you that the case status changed.